Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Life, Death and the Internet

http://www.topnews.in/regions/germany?page=4

The internet is fast becoming the primary platform of various advocacies. This week, I browsed a couple of articles from PDI about how personal the internet has become to these two people: Jonathan Mann and Lilian de Dera.

Jonathan Mann is an artist, particularly, he writes a new song each day. The internet is his stage. I particularly like his optimism towards his craft: 

"There are laws of probability," said Mann. "If I write 31 songs in a month, I have a pretty good chance one of those is going to be excellent and the more I do it hopefully the better they get."

Lilian de Dera seeks justice. Her husband and daughter were allegedly killed by men in uniform. Surely, you are familiar with e-mails requesting to be forwarded to everyone in your inbox - an online version of a polyeto: ipasa pagkabasa. She said: 

"Help me bring my cause to the eyes of the people capable of steering the wheel of justice to the right direction. Help me make the loudest cry worthy of attention by those people in-charge in rendering justice to those who deserve it."

One is about celebrating life, the other a clamor about inequitable death. The internet is a refuge for common people. There is no escaping this connection, this virtual world.

No comments:

Post a Comment